Friday, June 12, 2009

Sticky Tape and Rust

I really don't miss waiting for tapes to rewind when recording, nor do I miss tape hiss. I think we have all the tracks recorded now, except for one vocal part for Kim. And then I plan on spending this weekend locked in the basement with my real drums, mics, gaffer's tape, blankets, and all the other shit it takes to get drums to sound perfect when recording. I don't know if I'll succeed, but they've got to sound better than what I have down now, especially the toms on Come Together. They should be subtle and human. Instead, they're harsh and robotic.

I noticed the sampler included in Logic can have a ridiculous number of samples per instrument. Like some of the snares have a couple dozen individual samples for various volume levels. Back in the early '90s when I sampled my old drums, I used 3 per tom and cross–faded them across different volume ranges, which I though sounded good back in those days. But the more level ranges there are, the more real it will sound with all the different attacks, harmonics, and resonances of each one. It'd be nice to put together a really good full drum set of samples that way, including cymbals, so that way I wouldn't have to go through the long miking process again the next time we do this. Although that too would be a really long process.

No comments: