Thursday, May 14, 2009

Impaired Vision

Arg. Only one display is working. I don't know why, but the Radeon 4870 card has one DVI jack and one Mini DisplayPort jack. WTF? What was wrong with putting 2 DVI jacks like they've been doing? Luckily I knew this ahead of time and ordered a DVI-to-Mini DisplayPort adapter. But it doesn't work with my old style Cinema displays. I've tried swapping them, one at a time, etc. Fuck!

Oh, I see the new LED Cinema displays use this new Mini DisplayPort, I'm guessing simply so they can plug straight into a MacBook.

I'm on the phone now with Apple Care. Hopefully the 1st tier guy will hurry up and "investigate" so I can escalate it to someone who will either tell me exactly how I can fix it or will overnight me a solution. This is the first time I've ever had hardware not work on a Mac out of the box. That's a pretty good track record for my 26 years of Mac ownership.

Update: Um, now it works. I plugged it in while everything was running and it started working. WTF? Hopefully it's not an intermittent problem.

No comments: