Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gated Communities for Drums

I ordered a Behringer Multigate Pro XR4400 4–channel gate to use with my drum mics. Because I like using very live, wide open tunings on my toms, they can be a real bitch to mic. Especially the 15" and 18", which pretty much ring continuously due to sympathetic vibrations from other instruments. Those little globs of blue snot help take out some of the annoying harmonic rings that bug sound men. With the gates I'll be able to open each mic only when the drum has been struck, then give it a soft decay that follows the natural decay of the note. This also helps to keep each drum out of the other drums' mics. I typically don't like Behringer stuff. It always has that cheap, church band sort of feel to it. But Glen the sound guy out at Doc Holiday's said that's the gates they have there and he said they sound great.

I also ordered a backrest for my new throne. The one gig I used it at, I sure did miss being able to lean back and relax on the boring songs. Plus I've found it helps me play certain types of double–bass rhythms.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took you this long? I've had a backrest for our throne for years - it's the tank that holds all the water.

Armpit Studios said...

Tank? Water?! What kinda hifalutin city contraption you got there boy?

Anonymous said...

I keep it out by the ceement pond.