Monday, September 7, 2009

Les Paul

We bought a Les Paul. Settle down, it's not a real one, but a damn Guitar Hero one for the Xbox. We used to trade off, each playing an entire "gig", which is kinda boring for the person not playing. She suggested getting another controller so we could play at the same time. I wanted a Flying V, but didn't find one I liked, so we got a Les Paul they had at BFB. The "pick" switch is much quieter than the one in the Strat that came with her game. It seems to respond a bit better, although it doesn't have the slider area on the neck, so none of that.

Anyhoo, we had a blast playing the battle mode, I think it's called. You pick a song, and both play the same thing. Then you play it again, but the speed at which the notes come into view is faster, and something else changes, but I couldn't figure out what it was. And some notes have tokens or something that you get. Again, no idea what any of it means. But it was a ton of fun for us. I chose Queens of the Stone Age's No One Knows (one of my favorite songs), and we went through it about 4 or 5 times—each time it got harder. I also noticed the version it started with didn't have the solo, then later on it did and it had my playing 2 notes at once, but Kim had to play a different part. Freaky.

Anyhoo, for a fun time playing video games with yer woman, that gets my vote, especially if she doesn't want to play a shooter or drive a fast car where the object is not to pick up sparkly jewels and goofy weapons, but just to win the race. I still have an underlying hatred for Guitar Hero, mainly because so many people think it's just like playing a real instrument. But as a game that just happens to be loosely tied to rhythm, it's fun.

No comments: