Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mac Prooooooo!

I had a feeling a new Mac Pro was about to drop. I keep having flashes of jealousy over Greg's 1st gen octacore compiling 8 files at a time. And as my hard drive slowly fills over time (down to 10% free), I wish I had a RAID in mine to help keep up with the CPU. I'm noticing more and more periods of waiting for one or more apps to access the drive. It must be getting pretty fragged by now, even with the modern frag–prevention file system. But goddamn, the price sure goes up quickly as you increase the CPU speed. WTF? I recall that faster CPUs have passed more stringent quality checks, but does it really cost such a premium for that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess it's time to chuck this one. 8 cores at 3 Ghz just doesn't seem fast enough now that I could have 3.2 Ghz!

Plus, mine doesn't have a dopy name like "Nehalem". God, who comes up with these over at Intel?

Armpit Studios said...

It sounds like a Jew with a cold while toasting someone.