Saturday, April 4, 2009

They Need to Revive Sambos

Just look at these interiors! Have you ever seen restaurants that look any cooler or more inviting than these Sambos from the '60s? I'd kill for some of those light fixtures and booths. The original is still in Santa Barbara. I have a couple spotty recollections of eating at the one that was in Iowa City. I'm thinking it was just a bit north of where Village Inn is, perhaps in the same location as Ground Round? I remember the storyboard pictures on the wall behind the counter seen in those photos. But, why does Sambo look caucasian or very light Indian in their pictures? I had the book read to me countless times when I was little, and he sure wasn't white in the title or the illustrations. Probably pressure from idiots screaming about racism. He was intended to be Indian.

1 comment:

Leo said...

Hey, I remember Sambos. Yep, it was just about where the Ground Round was.

How racist!!