Saturday, April 4, 2009

There Will Be Blood

That's what we watched last night. Recorded it from an HD movie channel that we're getting free for something like 3 years. Yup, DirecTV gave us all the Showtime, The Movie Channel, and whatever else free for being valued customers or something. That's nice. Still hardly anything on those channels.

Anyhoo. I liked the movie a lot. I liked the slow, matter–of–fact pace and long stretches of no dialog. The voice that Daniel Day–Lewis used surprised me when he finally spoke. I was expecting more of a Sam Elliot type drawl. The preacher kid was creepy and uncomfortable to listen to. The best 2 parts of the movie were where D.D.L. beat the shit out of him. The score was excellent and very original—an excellent use of strings, and then the weird polyrhythmic percussive thing that built and built, emphasizing what was happening onscreen. I didn't think the "I drink your milkshake" line was all it was built up to be. Interesting, because I'm a huge fan of drinking them, but not one of those Best Movie Lines Ever lines.

No comments: