Saturday, February 21, 2009

Light up the Sky

Today guitarist John & I went over to Metro Light & Sound again, this time before they closed. They lave lots of stuff. We ended up with 8 of these Chauvet 1–watt LED pars, 2 of these little LED par 38s to put shine up onto my drums from below, and this board. There's quite a learning curve when you get into this DMX controlled stuff; channels, banks, scenes, addresses, ids, DIP switches (yay, I get to enter binary numbers), etc. Those 8 pars are maybe the size of a par 46 and put out maybe as much as a par 56 with a 300W spot. The beam is surprisingly tight. I thought the LEDs would just flood our the light and the can would control it, but each LED is a lens, so they're very directional. I doubt we'll ever need to use the barn doors, but they do provide nice damage control while in transport.

So no more hot lights, which is good in most cases, but will be missed on those occasions when it's really cold in the bar, or to light a cigarette with a solar cigarette lighter. And never again will we blow a breaker because of lights. Oh, they have little fans in them, I guess to keep the CPU cool. So it sounds like a rack of computers up on the light tree.

2 comments:

Brass Pear said...

Chauvet has some cool stuff. We use the ultra-low budget light bars that have 4 lights in them for most smaller places that we play.

I've always wondered what the LED pars look like in a real-life situation. Let me know if you like them.

brent said...

Damn, dude that is really cool as hell. You suck.