Monday, February 9, 2009

Groovy Packaging

Why don't they make labels for CDs that look like this? Media packaging is so blah these days. What better way to say "high fidelity" than a guy with a creepy haircut hugging an easy blonde chick? Check out the entire collection—there are some fantastic designs. I'd never heard of Maxim tapes, but it sure looks like they were riding on the Maxell branding coattails. I think the Maxell packaging layout was some of the best ever, with the alternating rows of increasing– and decreasing–width vertical lines, especially when over the gold background. I also like the old Scotch labels that used the black and yellow plaid. They're ugly, but they make me hungry for butterscotch candy.

And here's a neat collection of photos of many kinds of cassette tapes. Check out those purple Agfas! I have one of those Alsop head/capstan/pinch roller cleaners. I'm amazed at how many different brands and models look familiar to me from my collection. I always tried to stick with TDK or Maxell, but inevitably someone would give me a 3–pack of Memorex or Radio Shack for your birthday, even though I specifically asked for Maxell UDXL-II C90s. Why didn't they ever give me Happy Sound or Music to Please tapes?! I have one Teac that has the little reels inside the cassette that looks a lot like the Super Ferro on that page.

1 comment: