Friday, February 13, 2009

A Gomer Pyle Movie Theater

If we had a movie theater built out of an Quonset hut like this, I just might go out to the movies. That's very cool because it combines 2 things I like. I always thought Quonset huts were an amazing piece of engineering. So simple, yet sturdy and relatively waterproof from rain. They also have a wonderful pre–technology sort of feel to them, like you expect actual work to be going on inside them.

I was kind of young when it got torn down, but my grandpa had one between their house and barn. He kept all his tools, gardening equipment, pots, etc in there. It smelled great in there, like dirt and rust. But I don't think it was a typical corrugated metal building, but maybe plywood instead. It might've had a section of milky Fiberglas sheeting along the top to let in light. If it did, it was pretty dirty or aged, because it was really dark in there with the only windows being the door and maybe a small window in the front or on the side.

No comments: