Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Music Rights

Cripes. After telling somebody about the Gumby vs. Killdozer movie Brent and I made, I went through all the trouble of ripping the DVD (thanks Brent) with Handbrake and uploading it to YouTube. I'd done a director's cut in iMovie HD and added new video and audio f/x, along with closing credits and music (theme from S.W.A.T.). After it finally got uploaded to YouTube I checked it out and found that they'd disabled the audio because it contained audio that was unlicensed. I simply cannot stand music licensing bullshit. So, I'm uploading it elsewhere. But it's amazing that YouTube's servers contain algorithms that look through every movie that gets uploaded and compares it with all the known licensed songs in the world. Must be the same algorithm that the Shazam iPhone app uses to recognize a short clip of a song.

2 comments:

Brass Pear said...

You're right--that is amazing. Wouldn't have thought it possible--the computation power available out there must be amazing....

brent said...

Youtube gets a billion hits a day. Can you image the bandwidth? Like steve said my phone can recognize about any song, so Google doing it is really no surprise.
Those bastards. They should not mess with a classic like KD VS Gumby.