Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How Hard Can It Be?

We use FileMaker Pro for tracking our bugs at work. It's shared among developers and testers/support. If one person is editing a record, nobody else can use that record; can't even scroll a scrolling text field if it contains more text than is visible (which is a pretty stupid UI peculiarity). Everybody knows this, but it seems like I'm the only person who remembers it when I use the db. Everybody else will leave records "active" and then go do something else or even go home for the day, preventing everybody else from being able to edit it. We've used the same db since about 1998, yet people still do this on a daily basis and I have to send them a message asking if they're done editing the bug, when I really know they just aren't using their goddamn brain. Like right now I'm looking at a bug that's assigned to me and nobody has any business editing, yet somebody in Peoria clicked into it or something and now I can't do a fucking thing.

I'm just bitching. This pisses me off. Ah! 21 minutes later he finally gets my email and clicks out of the bug.

No comments: